AAUW Birmingham Branch History
In Birmingham in 1907, Mrs. John Miller was elected president of the newly organized Southern Association of College Women. The local organization did not flourish immediately, and 1908 minutes state, “after a lapse of a year and a half the Southern Association of College Women was reorganized with Mrs. Miller reelected as President.”
On April 1, 1921, the Southern Association of College Women merged with the Association of Collegiate Alumnae to form the American Association of University Women, a powerful network of change. Today, the Birmingham Branch reflects its mission in its public policy efforts, programs, community activism, and other initiatives.